arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

Opposite the gates to grounds of Y Plas is the building which gives Machynlleth its special place in Welsh history. This building is linked to the father of contemporary Wales, Owain Glyndŵr.

In 1400, tension between the Norman lords and their imposed administration and the Welsh people and their traditional leaders exploded into rebellion. In revenge for a personal affront, Owain Glyndŵr led a raid against Lord Grey of Rhuthin during which Rhuthin was razed to the ground on market day. This act rapidly led to a national uprising.

In the summer of 1401, Glyndŵr led an army of 500 men to the high ground above the Afon Hyddgen and raised his standard to clash with a Norman army of 1500 men. His success in this battle convinced many more Welsh people to join the cause. By the summer of 1404, Glyndŵr was able to lay the foundations for the political order and future vision for the country. He invited 4 representatives from every cwmwd (commote or secular/non-religious division of land) to convene a senedd (parliament) at Machynlleth. To make sure the senedd would be recognised by other countries, representatives from Scotland, France and Spain were also invited.

The Old Parliament Building stands on the site of
this famous parliament meeting. This Grade 1 listed building was restored and extended in 1911 and given to the town of Machynlleth by Lord Davies of Llandinam in February 1912.

The adjoining Owain Glyndŵr Institute was opened in the same year. On the first floor are the Toll Stones originally placed in Heol Pentrerhedyn, Heol Y Doll and on the outside of the Parliament Building itself.

The Centre hosts an exhibition on the life, times and vision of Owain Glyndŵr.

http://www.canolfanglyndwr.org/

To see an historic drawing of the Old Parliament House, follow this link:
http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk/items/23702

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment