arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Griffith Jones of Llanddawror, Carmarthenshire

  • View map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

In 1716 Griffith Jones was made the rector of Llanddowror Church where he remained for the rest of his life. In 1731, he began to organise circulating schools in Carmarthenshire, influenced by his learning and the ideology of the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge (SPCK) of which he was a member. Jones was inspired to set up these reading schools so that the common people might read the Bible and, in so doing, learn things necessary for their salvation.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment