arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Welsh Place-names: Trallwng Gollen

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

Trallungelloyn, -golleyn, Trallunggolloyn 1310, Tralleong y gollen c.1560, Trallongolloyn 1577, Trallwyn-gollwyn 1597-8, 1617-18, Trellungollen 1636, Trallwng Gollen 1637, trallwyn gollwyn 1647, Trallomgollen 1761.

[The aerial photograph shows the main road running west-east in the town made up by Mount Street. High Street, Broad Street and Severn Street. This is the core of the medieval borough of Welshpool alias Pool/Y Trallwng. The boundaries of the original borough established in the 13th century corresponded with those of a small township known as Pool Town. Trallwng Gollen referred to a township which lies to the right(south) of this view around Powis Castle. The name is no longer current but extended to Severn Street and included part of Berriew Street.]

Part of the parish of Welshpool centred on Powis Castle/Castell Coch extending to Severn Street and Berriew Street in the town. Welshpool: Welsh tallwng, bog, muddy pool' and a personal name Collwyn or Gollwyn. Later spellings show association with collen, 'hazel-trees'. The qualifier distinguishes Trallwng Gollen from Trallwng Llywelyn which was the name of a township on the north side of the town containing the personal name Llywelyn. Trallwyng Llywelyn otherwise known as Welshtown and Tregymraeg once possessed its own chapel Capel Llywelyn.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment