Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


Photographed by Geoff Charles. The scheme to build the new reservoir at Tryweryn involved flooding the village of Capel Celyn (Cwm Tryweryn) and the local school. Geoff Charles decided to record the last days of the local children at the school. All but two of the ten pupils were called Jones, namely: Jane Watkin, Rhian, Lowri Mair, Arfon, Ann Elizabeth, Euron, Geraint, and Eurgain; the other pupils were Tryweryn Evans and Elwyn Rowlands. The schoolteacher was Mrs. M. J. Roberts. This photograph was published in 'Y Cymro', 1 November 1962.

It was in 1955 that it was first announced that Liverpool Corporation was intending to build the new reservoir in the Tryweryn valley, drowning the village of Capel Celyn, north of Bala. Although a fierce protest campaign was launched by local residents, authorities, individuals and national institutions, all efforts to halt the building of the new reservoir ultimately failed. On 1 August 1957 the Liverpool Corporation Act was passed. Work began on the site three years later and was completed in August 1965.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment