Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


A memorial stone at the Cenin Parc Stormy development in Bridgend South Wales was unveiled , Sunday July 2017 by the Mid Glamorgan Lord Lieutenant Mrs Kate Thomas CVO with a dedication service held by Reverend (Squadron Leader ) Colin O’Dell DipHE RAF and The Venerable Air Vice-Marshal Brian Lucas CB BA FRSA Archdeacon Emeritus of the RAF
Between 1939 and 1946, Parc Stormy was known as RAF Porthcawl and finally RAF Stormy Down. During this period it was an air gunnery school with over 10,000 RAF and Allied airmen being trained at the camp.
The event was attended by veterans, local dignitaries and members of the public and was organised by the RAF together with the Porthcawl Museum and Historical Society, and Cenin Renewables who purchased the development in 2007 and now operate renewable technologies at the site,
Welsh First Minster, Carwyn Jones commented that like many other people living in the Bridgend County, he had previous limited knowledge of the history of the camp and was humbled by the stories of the young airman who had completed their training at the camp many of who later made the ultimate sacrifice to give us the freedom we enjoy today.
To mark the occasion a Hurricane and a Spitfire from the Battle of Britain Flight took part in a fly-past over the site followed by a display of the RAF the Red Arrows display team
A total of 52 airmen and a member of the ATS - from Britain, Canada, New Zealand and Poland - were lost at Stormy Down, 11 of whom are buried at Nottage Cemetery in Porthcawl, where wreaths were later in the day laid by representatives from the RAF, Poland and New Zealand.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment