arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • First Crew of Neath Tram, outside London Road Tram depot

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

The tramway was introduced to Neath in 1873 with the formation of the Neath & District Tramways Company and the laying of a line from Villiers Street in Briton Ferry along the main road through Neath to the Terminus Hotel at Skewen. A horse-drawn service came into operation in 1875. The company was purchased by the Neath Corporation for the sum of £8,475 on 7 August 1896, at which time it was decided to replace horses with vehicles powered by town gas. These were purchased second-hand from a variety of sources including Lytham St Anne's, Blackpool, Lancashire.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment