arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Newspaper clipping about the survival of the Jewish community of Newport, 29 November 1985

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

This undated photocopy of a newspaper clipping voices concerns about the survival of Newport's Jewish community, which at the time of the article's publication celebrated its 126th birthday. According to the article, the Newport Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859. The article recounts the history of the Jewish community in Newport with passing references to the defunct communities in Brynmawr, Abertillery, Aberdare, and Tredegar.The article was originally published on 29 November 1985 in The Jewish Chronicle. Digitised version can be found in the newspaper's online archive (https://www.thejc.com/archive/1.215770).Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen's Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.Sources:"History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;Oral history interviews with members of the Newport (MON) Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment