Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


This photocopy of a newspaper clipping recounts the centenary celebration of the Newport Jewish community. No source for the clipping is mentioned and it is undated, but the centenary took place in 1959. At the event, the Rav of Cardiff, Rabbi Ber Rogosnitzky, read a centenary prayer. The President of the Newport Jewish community, Harry Joseph, presented the Mayor with a silver menorah to commemorate the occasion. The article also mentions the Reverend Abraham Snadow who at that time had spent 49 years with the congregation.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queens Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment