arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

This document is a historical survey of the first 100 years of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, dated 1959. The extensive details of the community's beginnings, triumphs, and challenges are all featured throughout. Information is provided on the earliest records preserved by the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, the community's charitable work, the relations with South Wales, individuals such as Mr Hyams and the level of education he facilitated. Additionally, the arrival of Rev A. Snadow is described, and the impact of the First World War, and the post-war depression. Financial problems are featured, as well as the arrival of refugees. The document highlights the Second World War; the community during the Holocaust, and what occurred after the war.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment