arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Balance sheet and accounts of the Newport Hebrew Congregation, Newport, 1947

  • View map

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Image 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2
Image 3:Download link to the full resolution of image number 3
full resolution of image 3
Image 4:Download link to the full resolution of image number 4
full resolution of image 4
Image 5:Download link to the full resolution of image number 5
full resolution of image 5
Image 6:Download link to the full resolution of image number 6
full resolution of image 6
Image 7:Download link to the full resolution of image number 7
full resolution of image 7
Image 8:Download link to the full resolution of image number 8
full resolution of image 8

Description

The balance sheet and accounts of the Newport Hebrew Congregation dated 31 October 1947. The information provided in this document includes: a general meeting notice (with a time, date, and listed agenda), the liabilities and assets, expenditure and income, plus a list of members' subscriptions and offerings. Additionally featured are the seats high festivals, special offerings, cemetery charges, wedding fees, special receipts, and the Jewish Orphanage (London) donations. Enclosed at the end page of the document are the statement of accounts for Chevra Kaddisha and Bikkur Cholim.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment