• Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item


The balance sheet and accounts for the Newport Hebrew Congregation dated 31 October 1952. This document details the date, time and location for the general meeting, trustees meeting, and council meeting, with a four point agenda that follows. The liabilities and assets are subsequently covered, including creditors such as the Board of Guardians and the General Charity Fund. Expenditure and income accounts are enclosed, with salaries, education, donations and general expenses as the main topics of estimate. An in-depth members' subscriptions, donations and offerings record expands over two pages, with a letter based key incorporated to highlight specific payment status. The final page describes offerings; both special and cemetery fees. Plot reservations and seats (high holy days) are adjacent.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment