• Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item


The balance sheet and accounts for the Newport Hebrew Congregation dated 31 October 1959. This document includes the date and times for the general, trustees, and council meetings, followed by a four point agenda. The liabilities and assets are covered, as well as the income and expenditure accounts. The statement for members' subscriptions, donations, and offerings expands across two pages, using a letter based key to highlight the status of certain paid expenses. Balances of the charities appeal, JPA, library fund, and miscellaneous receipts are featured. Additionally, the balances of the Orphan Aid Society, cemetery care, the Board of Guardians, the Board of Deputies, and Chevra Kedisha are enclosed, with the cemetery fees and offerings detailed. The final page presents the plot reservations' balances, covering: reserved plots, paid in respect thereof, balance to be paid, and transferred or received during year.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment