arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

A printed Babylonian Talmud, the comprehensive written version of the Jewish oral law and the subsequent commentaries on it. It is made up of the Mishnah and the Gemara. The Mishnah is the original written version of the oral law and the Gemara (printed around it) is the record of the rabbinic discussions following this writing down. It includes their differences of view (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/judaism/texts/talmud.shtml).

The book is in Hebrew except for a part of the title page which is in Cyrillic script and states that the book was printed in Warsaw in 1887.
A detailed discussion of the Babylonian Talmud can be found in the Jewish Encyclopaedia of 1906 (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/14213-talmud/).

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
- “History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
- Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment