arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Newspaper obituary of Anita Landy, Llanelli, 1980

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

This undated newspaper clipping, possibly from The Jewish Chronicle, notes the death of Anita Landy, an active member of the Llanelli Synagogue and a one-time chairman and president of Swansea Wizo. According to the JCR-UK website, Mrs Landy passed away in 1980.

Members of the Llanelli Hebrew Congregation initially held services for the High Holy Days in the early 1900s at private residences. A purpose-built synagogue was established in 1909 on Queen Victoria Street. Through the 1920s, the community had around 300 members, but the number fell rapidly in the 1930s and never recovered. When the congregation merged with Swansea Hebrew Congregation in the 1980s, membership was down to 20.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/community/llanelli/index.htm & https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/community/llanelli/press_reports_llanelli_4.htm).

Depository: Carmarthenshire Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment