arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
Pontypridd Museum's picture
Pontypridd Museum

Date joined: 16/02/18

About

Opening Hours: Monday-Saturday 10am-4:30pm, free admission.

Pontypridd Museum occupies Tabernacl Chapel, at the north end of the town. The chapel was built in 1861, and still has its pipe-organ and unusually decorative interior, which has recently been restored. It was purchased by Pontypridd Town Council in 1983 and re-opened as the town’s museum in 1986.

The museum depicts the industrial, social and cultural history of Pontypridd, emphasizing the distinctive history of the town. Paintings and other works of art celebrate William Edwards’ bridge, close to the museum, which was built in 1756 and became famous as the first in Europe to exceed the span of the Rialto in Venice.

Personal items belonging to Evan and James James remind us that the Welsh national anthem was composed here in 1856. We highlight the achievements of well-known Pontypridd musicians, singers and sportspeople as well as popular crafts from nineteenth-century sampler-making to twentieth-century pigeon racing. We are now trying to collect evidence to illustrate the mixed origins of the people of the town, mostly Welsh, English and Irish, but also Italian, Jewish, Polish and other more recent arrivals.

In addition to our permanent exhibition, which is augmented as donations are received and objects are purchased, we have gallery spaces for temporary exhibitions. These include historical exhibitions drawn from our own collections or those of local historians or archaeologists, art exhibitions by local art societies or individual artists, photographic exhibitions by local photographers and clubs from all over Wales, and science and technology exhibitions designed to meet the needs of primary schools.

Our collections are consulted by people researching local history, and we provide information in response to enquiries. We offer local history guided walks for schools and adult groups, and we publish local history leaflets and books. We also give talks on a variety of historical subjects to outside organisations.

Pontypridd Museum is owned and staffed by Pontypridd Town Council.

… Show moreShow less

Website: https://www.pontypriddmuseum.cymru

Above Berw Pool by Peter Morgan

  • 278
  • login to save

Pontypridd Railway Station, 1936

  • 854
  • login to save

Butlins Holiday Camp

  • 2,531
  • login to save

Orient Line Royal Mail Steamer Ormay

  • 196
  • login to save

Collision in the fog. Startling experience off...

  • 489
  • login to save

Cardiff Steamer Buffeted

  • 312
  • login to save

Deportation of Pontypridd Miners

  • 453
  • login to save

Members of the congregation of Zion Chapel,...

  • 406
  • login to save

Walnut Tree Viaduct at Tongwynlais carried the...

  • 1,302
  • login to save

Train to Ynysybwl 1952

  • 633
  • login to save

Train to Caerphilly 1956

  • 266
  • login to save

Train approaching Pontypridd Railway Station

  • 895
  • login to save

Portrait of Samuel Brown with Brighton Chain...

  • 248
  • login to save

View of the river Taff in 2018

  • 401
  • login to save

Jewish synagogue in Treforest c. 1990

  • 455
  • login to save

Pleasure boats leaving Docks, Cardiff

  • 365
  • login to save

A romantic view of Pontypridd's Old Bridge...

  • 574
  • login to save

Mauretania

  • 383
  • login to save

A charabanc was a popular alternative to...

  • 421
  • login to save

Graig station

  • 394
  • login to save

Coal train from Lewis Merthyr Colliery in Trehafod

  • 574
  • login to save

An early 20th century view of the...

  • 478
  • login to save

Image from c1900 showing works to extend Mill...

  • 327
  • login to save

Trippers gather outside the Half Moon pub,...

  • 892
  • login to save

William price

  • 326
  • login to save

Pontypridd

  • 368
  • login to save

Ty Mawr Colliery

  • 384
  • login to save

The Old Courthouse

  • 288
  • login to save

The Old Bridge from Fish Lane

  • 289
  • login to save

The Old Bridge

  • 345
  • login to save