arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Invitation for the Fiftieth Anniversary of Penylan House, Cardiff, 12 January 1997

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

An invitation to the Gala Dinner celebrating the Fiftieth Anniversary celebrations of Penylan House, Jewish old age home. The invitation states that the dinner will be held at Sherman Hall [Penylan Synagogue], Brandreth Road, Penylan, Cardiff on Sunday 12 January 1997. The reception was to begin at 7pm, with dinner being served at 7:15pm. Entertainment was to be singers from the Welsh National Opera. A £20 donation is requested, which includes wine, and the event is specified as being "Black Tie".

A newspaper article from after the event states that nearly two hundred people attended the event, raising around £4000.

The Welsh National Opera was founded in 1946 by a group of people from across South Wales, including miners, teachers and doctors. At the time of Penylan House's fiftieth anniversary (1997), the Welsh National Opera was based at the New Theatre, Cardiff but moved to Cardiff Bay in 2004.

Pencare (formerly known as 'The Trustees of Penylan House') is a charity, which offers care for elderly people of the Jewish faith and is currently based in Cardiff, although the catchment area for the home covers South Wales and the West of England. Pencare has been working with Linc Cymru to redevelop their care home, Penylan House, to ensure high quality care to Cardiff's elderly Jewish community and extending the care to elderly people not of the Jewish faith.

Mr Henry Silver and other members of the community had originally founded a Home for the Aged in 1946 in Canton, which then moved to Penarth, its official opening being 5 December 1948, to provide a larger space for its large number of applications. Despite the beautiful surroundings, the Home in Penarth was quite isolated so the difficult decision was later taken to move the Home to Penylan Road in Cardiff, meaning many residents were now closer to their friends and relatives. Residents moved to Penylan House in 1959.

Sources:
https://wno.org.uk/about/our-history http://opencharities.org/charities/243968 http://www.housingcare.org/downloads/facilities/generated-brochures/134508-penylan-house-nursing-home-cardiff-wales.pdf;
Cajex, Magazine of the Association of Jewish Ex-service Men and Women (Cardiff), Vol. IX, No. 1, Ninth Year - March, 1959, pp. 60- 65.

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment