arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Description

These five images relate to the Penylan House Annual Summer Garden Party, organised by Penfriends in June 2010. The first garden party at the Home was held in 1947.

The first image is of a flyer advertising the Penfriends Summer Garden Party, which was to be held at Penylan House Nursing Home in Cardiff on Sunday, 13 June 2010. The advertisement states that there was to be live entertainment, gifts, cakes, arts and crafts, a raffle, a children's corner, a teddy tombola and more. Admission for adults is detailed as being £2.00, (which included a cream tea) and admission for children was 50 pence.

The second item is a letter addressed to Marks & Spencer plc, dated 29 April 2010, asking for donations such as goods or vouchers and states that the Home would be willing to collect any items. The letter states that the Home had been a valued customer to Marks and Spencer. Hand-written in pencil is a 'no reply' comment.

The third item is a handwritten letter dated 13 June 2010. The letter praises the Penfriends efforts in organising the garden party and includes a donation.

The last two items are letters of thanks to the Penylan House supporters.

Pencare (formerly known as 'The Trustees of Penylan House') is a charity, which offers care for elderly people of the Jewish faith and is currently based in Cardiff, although the catchment area for the home covers South Wales and the West of England. Pencare has been working with Linc Cymru to redevelop their care home, Penylan House, to ensure high quality care to Cardiff's elderly Jewish community and extending the care to elderly people not of the Jewish faith.

Mr Henry Silver and other members of the Cardiff Jewish community had originally founded a Home for the Aged in 1946 in Canton. In December 1948, the Home moved to Holme Towers in Penarth to provide more space for its large number of applications. Despite the beautiful surroundings, the Home in Penarth was quite isolated, so the difficult decision was later taken to move the Home to Penylan Road in Cardiff, meaning many residents were now closer to their friends and relatives. Residents moved to Penylan House in February 1959.

Sources:
http://opencharities.org/charities/243968;
http://www.housingcare.org/downloads/facilities/generated-brochures/134508-penylan-house-nursing-home-cardiff-wales.pdf;
Cajex, Magazine of the Association of Jewish Ex-service Men and Women (Cardiff), Vol. IX, No. 1, Ninth Year - March 1959, pp. 60- 65.

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment