Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


A newspaper article from The Cambrian, published on 28/07/1838, describing the catching of a “Lesser Spotted Shark” (also known as the sandy dogfish) at the mouth of the river Ogmore, St Brides.

The clipping reads as follows: "On Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Loosemond, the policeman of Bridgend, captured a fish, called the “Lesser Spotted Shark”, near the mouth of the river Ogmore. As this fish is not a frequent visitor of our shores, a description of it will, perhaps, be entertaining to some of our naturalists. It measures about 2 feet in length, the body reddish brown, with large distinct black spots; the belly is white; the head is large, and the snout round; the eyes are oblong – the pupil is of a sea green colour – the iris white; the mouth is oblong, and curved, with three rows of teeth; the tongue cartilaginous, and the palate is rough; the vent is placed before the middle of the body, the ventral fins distinct; the first dorsal fin is placed behind the ventral; the second dorsal fin is less, and nearly opposite the anal; the tail is long and narrow, and rather flat at the extremity. We understand that Mr. L. intends presenting it to the Swansea Museum."

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment