Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Description

This church was also sketched by Annie – from the same
perspective. At the time of these sketches, this church had
been in existence for only twenty-odd years. St Philip’s Church (Caerdeon Chapel) was established as a
private chapel by the owner of the Caerdion estate who
objected to the fact that the services at LLanaber were only
conducted in Welsh. It was designed along the lines of
Pyrenean buildings and (other than the building material
used) was completely alien to the feel of Welsh building.
Its services were conducted in English and this led to the
owner being taken to court by the Rector of Llanaber – the
upshot being the passing of the English Services in Wales Act of 1863 by the House of Lords. This
Act meant that English Services could be provided if ten or more parishioners requested them – thus
modifying the previous requirement that services in predominantly Welsh districts were to be held in
Welsh.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment