Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


RCAHMW colour oblique aerial photograph of Llanellgradd Dovecote taken on 26/05/2004 by Toby Driver.

The early seventeenth century dovecote located in the great park of Parciau, is an ornate tall square plan building of two storeys divided by a bold projecting string course. The walls are of roughly coursed stone rubble with finer dressings. Each wall rises to a gable topped by a finial and the roof is topped by an ornate classical cupola, again cross gabled with finials.

The columbarium is in the upper storey, reached by a stair in the thickness of the walls. It has a corbelled vault lit by the cupola.

The 2nd/3rd editions of the OS County series mapping (Anglesey VIII.13 1900, 1920) show the dovecote standing at the northern end of a regular oval scarped enclosure, about 35m north-south by 20m. The adjoining wood was Pigeon House Covert in 1920.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment