arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

Digital copy of a black and white photograph showing an exterior view of Rhydwilym Baptist Chapel,Clynderwen, taken by Robert Scourfield, 1995.

Rehoboth Welsh Independent Chapel was built in 1807 to house a community founded in 1800. It was then rebuilt in the Classical style in 1869. The chapel, which is built of uncoursed rubblestone, is entered via a central wooden double doorway with fanlight over in the gable end. Above the doorway are two small round-headed windows, and to either side is a single tall round-headed window. In the apex of the gable is a quatrefoil oculus, below which is a tablet inscribed '1869 Rehoboth'. The side elevations, which are slate hung, each have two tall round-headed windows.

Inside, the chapel has a three-sided gallery with wooden panelled front, mounted upon cast iron columns with Corinthian capitals. To the front of the chapel, above the set fawr, is a wall mounted clock set within an arch with Ionic pilasters. There is a memorial within the chapel for Revd. John Henry Hughes (1814-93).

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment