arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Description

Aerial view over the steelworks looking north, with Hawarden bridge over the River Dee in the foreground, taken in 1975. Click on image to enlarge.
Hawarden Bridge Iron Works was established in 1895-6 by John Summers & Sons of Stalybridge on a 6ha site on the north bank of the river Dee, adjacent to the Great Central's railway line north of Shotton and Connah's Qay.
The works expanded, producing its own steel by the open hearth process from 1902, when it became known as Hawarden Bridge Steel Works. The steelworks continued to develop, becoming Shotton Steelworks and covering an area of around 470 ha.
In 1967 the steel industry was nationalised and in 1980 steel production at Shotton came to an end, with considerable job losses. 1999 British Steel merged with a Dutch Company to form Corus and in March 2000 the works was noted as specialising in coating (galvanising and painting) coil steel produced at Llanwern and Port Talbot steelworks.
The site continues in operation, although reduced in area; a power station and paper mill have been built on the northern part of the site and several of the former reservoirs have been converted to nature reserves.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment