arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterNoddir gan Lywodraeth Cymru | Sponsored by Welsh Government

Description

The Talbot Park war memorial is the focal point of the memorial park, in the centre of the main avenue. In 1918 Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Park donated a field in the town as a memorial for the dead of the First World War (1914-18).

The monument is a square-section pillar of unpolished granite supporting a bronze statue of the Angel of Victory, holding a wreath in one hand and a small winged victory in the other. The sculptor's name is inscribed on the bronze base, L F Roslyn 1925. A rectangular bronze plaque is mounted on each face of the pillar, each with a scene in relief. That to the front (S) has a wreath in high relief, and a band set behind with '1914 - 1918'. Below is an inscription 'To the glory of God in memory of our honoured dead who fell in the Great War'. A short rectangular bronze tablet has been inserted beneath the raised panel and reads in relief 'Also / 1939 - 1945'.
The remaining panels represent war, peace and remembrance.

Ref: DS2013_462_005

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment