arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • ST BRYNACH'S CHURCH, CWM-YR-EGLWYS

  • View map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

RCAHMW aerial photograph of Cwm-yr-Eglwys.
The remains of the church of St Brynach comprise the standing west wall and stone from the church which has been incorporated into the seawall that defends it. Of note is an incised stone believed to have been part of the sundial. Two undated cist burials were found during repairs to the seawall in 1981.
The Great Storm of 1859
The architectural history preserved in the building's fabric was lost in the Great Storm of 1859. Cwm-yr-Eglwys lies exposed to the northeast and the storm's resultant surge of 15ft (4.5m) above normal high water carried away the side wall and roof.
In the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph by Owen Edwards, Coroner to the Northern Division of Pembrokeshire, he described 'the sea washing right through it. The churchyard is much injured. Several houses are damaged; one house in particular is nearly destroyed'.
To the east of the church, a schooner, the MATHILDIS, and a sloop were lost. Eight bodies were subsequently washed ashore or recovered from the cliffs. Two burials are recorded in the Dinas Burial register for 30th October - 'Unknown drowned in a shipwreck during a terrific gale Oct 25th 1859. Abode, both Cardiganish as supposed'.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment