arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharetwitterwelsh-government

Description

Three testimonial letters written in December 1910 in respect of one Henry Lawson.

Henry went on to join the Newport Borough Police as a Constable.

Research shows that during World War One, Henry served in the Royal Garrison Artillery at the rank of Lance Bombardier.

That was a rank of non-commissioned officer in an artillery regiment of the British army, corresponding to that of a lance corporal in the infantry.

The Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) was an arm of the British Army's Royal Artillery that was originally tasked with manning the guns of the British Empire's forts and fortresses, including coastal artillery batteries, the heavy gun batteries attached to each infantry division, and the guns of the siege artillery.

All of the letters are addressed from someone who knew him, a former employer and the local vicar.

They refer to the time when Henry was living and working in the village of Kinver, near Stourbridge in south Staffordshire.

Part of the Ross Mather Police Memorabilia of Wales Collection.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment