Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


Date: 7 April 1915


The Falaba Victims.


No more pathetic and touching scenes have been witnessed at Milford Haven than those on Wednesday last which attended the removal of some of the bodies of the unfortunate victims of the Falaba disaster and crime, and upon which the inquest bad been held the previous day. The body of Captain Frederick J. Davis was conveyed to Liverpool the previous evening and early on Thursday that of Lieut. Leslie Blakeney, of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and West African Frontier Force was placed in the train for Sheffield en route for his parents' home. His father is a retired clergyman, and was present at the inquest, and with his wife accompanied the body. They were the recipients of much sympathy. The body of J. Dawson was sent on the 4.30 afternoon train to Dalton-in-Furness, Lancashire. The most impressive of all, however, was the funeral procession accompanying the body of the late Corporal Walter Ernest Wallace of the R.A.M.C. There was a considerable attendance of soldiers, and the coffin, covered by the Union Jack, was carried from the mortuary by eight corporals of the Brecknockshire (Reserve) Battalion, and the Drum and Fife Band, under Drum-Major Morgan, played the mournful strains of Chopin's funeral march, and half wav to the station the Regimental Band of the 4th Battalion the Welsh Regiment from Scoveston Fort, under Bandmaster K. Lowther, took up the refrain. Major W. S. Griffith, and Sergeant Coombes, R.A.M.C., followed the coffin, and at the railway station Major Pughe Morgan, adjutant of the Brecknockshire (Reserve) Regiment, with other officers and clergymen were present. The band of the 4th Welsh solemnly played "The Rosary," whilst waiting the arrival of the train. Crowds of spectators had lined the streets, and thronged the station yard. Many were visibly affected by the sad spectacle. The band again struck up a mournful strain as the train left the station. In the same train were conveyed the bodies of Thomas Evans, steward, and Frank Elliston, saloon steward, both of Liverpool. It was pleasing to know that the body of the man unknown was identified on Thursday by his brother as that of Leonard Ashby Brookes, 7a, Charlwood Road, Putney, London. The corpse was taken away on Thursday evening, accompanied to the station by the Boy Scouts, and the Vicar and Curate. The same afternoon the negro fireman, John Meyer, was interred at the cemetery, the Rev. F. T. Oswell officiating. Six of the coffins were made by Messrs Fred Lloyd & Co., and two by Mr H. Adams.

"The Falaba Victims." Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph and General Weekly Reporter for the Counties of Pembroke Cardigan Carmarthen Glamorgan and the Rest of South Wales. 7 Apr. 1915. 2.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment