arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Ancient Fisheries of Milford Haven. Extract from Morris, L., 1748. Plans of Harbours, Bars, Bays and Roads in St. George's Channel

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

An extract from Morris, L., 1748. Plans of Harbours, Bars, Bays and Roads in St. George's Channel. The extract (page 52) describes an ancient fishery, for turbot and codfish, off Milford Haven.

The extract reads as follows: “ On the Porgus Bank, which lies about Two Leagues S.W. of St Anne’s Light-houses, they had in ancient Times a great Fishery of Turbot and Codfish; and it is remarkable, that though this dangerous Bank was always known to the Fishermen of Milford, that it was never laid down, nor a Word mentioned of it, in any Chart or Description of this Coast, till now.”

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment