arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Last tram of coal raised in the Rhondda, 1986

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

Last tram of coal raised in the Rhondda, 1986. Photograph taken at Maerdy Coliery by John Cornwell.
In 1947 the coal industry was nationalised; two years later the National Coal Board announced the complete rebuilding of Maerdy Collieries No.3 and No.4 Pits, near the head of Cwm Rhondda-fach. The mine had closed in 1940 and was lying derelict.
The rebuilding swept away most traces of the original structures but provided an all-electric state-of-the-art colliery with new winder houses, coal preparation plant, administrative offices, a canteen, pithead baths and medical centre. Developments underground included new roadways to link with Bwllfa Colliery in the Cynon Valley.
The site of Maerdy Collieries Nos.1 and No.2 Pits had been retained for railway sidings in connection with Nos.3 and 4 Pits and continued in use to serve the new Colliery.
The last coal was raised at Mardy Colliery in 1986 although coal continued to be mined and brought to the surface at Tower Drift Mine, with which it was linked underground. Mardy closed in 1990 and the site has since been demolished and cleared.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment