arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

Shows Welsh counties and parts of adjoining English counties, including much of Herefordshire and Shropshire. Identifies towns, larger villages parish churches, rivers and diagramatic representation of higher hills and mountains. Compass rose in Irish Sea bearing the Arms of the Princes of Wales at its centre, the sea shaded to resemble watered silk in the style of Hondius. The sides of the maps are flanked by twelve views of the County Towns of Wales with smaller insets of the four Cathedral Cities of Bangor, St Asaph, Llandaff and St. David's set into each of the map's corners.
Text verso printed upside down on pages 99 and 100 of "The generall description, and severall divisions of the Principality of Wales." Sign Ggg....sold by John Sudbury and George Humble in Popes head allye - cum privilegio. 1610.

Artist: Speed, John, b.1552?-1629

Dimensions: 360 × 330 mm (14.17 × 12.99 in)

Scale (1:576,000)

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment