WNMA Wales National Memorial Association

The WNMA - or to give it its full name the 'Wales National Memorial Association for the Eradication of Tuberculosis' - laid many of the foundations for what would become after WW2 the National Health Service (NHS) in Wales. Founded from 1910 as a memorial to King Edward VII by Powys philanthropist David Davies of Llandinam, the WNMA's mission was to rid Wales and the world of TB, popularly known an 'consumption'.

Wales' Temple of Peace & Health in Cathays Park was opened in 1938 as the joint headquarters of the WLNU (Welsh League of Nations Union) and WNMA, which after WW2 respectively evolved into the United Nations Association and the NHS Transition Authority. The former WNMA charged with responsibility for overseeing the merger of nationwide bodies to create Wales' embryonic National Health Service, which was launched on the 'appointed day' of 5th July 1948.

Background about WNMA (NLW Blog): https://blog.library.wales/tuberculosis-eradication-wales-1912-1948/

Temple of Peace Heritage: https://www.wcia.org.uk/wales-temple-of-peace-health/

There are 6 items in this collection

  • 811
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 388
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 727
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 4,704
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 896
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 1,558
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save

See also: