arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Parc Howard Red Cross Hospital

Three short years after opening as a public museum, Parc Howard was converted into a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital, providing a peaceful place of convalescence for wounded servicemen and refugees. It was staffed by British Red Cross and Voluntary Aid Detachment nurses and funded by government grants and local donations. Patients did not generally have life-threatening injuries. Servicemen preferred auxiliary to military hospitals because the discipline was not as strict, conditions were less crowded and the surroundings more homely. The hospital continued to support disabled ex-servicemen and their families from 1921 to 1924 under the War Pensions Committee.

This tribute was suggested by Morrigan Mason & Elin Jones. In association with Carmarthenshrie Museums.

There are 5 items in this collection

Favourites Icons A vector image of a heart to represent a Favourite Item

Annie Stepney Gulston (1882–1966)

Favourites Icons A vector image of a heart to represent a Favourite Item

Wounded soldiers at Parc Howard

Favourites Icons A vector image of a heart to represent a Favourite Item

The Mansel Lewis family

Favourites Icons A vector image of a heart to represent a Favourite Item

Submarine HMS E 51

Favourites Icons A vector image of a heart to represent a Favourite Item

Parc Howard hospital

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment